blog design

Tuesday 25 January 2011

Never mind Alice, I'm in wonderland

Don't you just love it when you learn something new?  It's probably common knowledge, but I had no idea that I could import my own textures into photoshop.  I've always like the texturize filter but dislike that the tiles repeat too often for my liking. Also the limited textures available seldom match what I'm trying to match up with. The image below is a classic example of this.  I purchased some Alice in Wonderland book illustrations at Nicerane designs.  I introduced my little grandson into the picture.  It was cute but he kinda stood out like a sore thumb against the noise filled background of old fashioned printing methods.  I tried the usual textures but they did not look right.  It was at this point that I discovered I could import textures.  I will be making a lot of use of this in the future.  I used the posterize filter to remove the photographed look.  Instead of returning to the filter, I decided to copy and paste a selection of the main picture and placed it over grandson image, reducing opacity and setting filter to overlay blend.  I repeated this with part of the mushroom.  I'm quite happy with the effects I achieved.  Much better than just plonking the photograph into the vintage image.  I think he blends in much better with that magical environment now.

1 comment:

Ramona said...

This is a great technique that you used for your image. I love that, too, being able to import my own textures/patterns and then making them into styles. Precious!
Your image, though, is great in that it really looks as if your grandson has emerged from behind the scene and is now taking a pic of Alice. It's beautiful!
Cheers (from Digital Whispers & Dreamingconnection.com)
Ramona