blog design

Wednesday 25 August 2010

Art is not always pretty

This one started off as a tutorial posted by Kimmie on Digital Whispers.  The images used did not particularly inspire me, but I'm so glad that I gave it a go. I really despair of some tutorials and appreciate that it is not easy to know how much participants understand. This is one of those tutorials which did not assume too much, and instructions were very clear.  Here is the link to the tutorial  I have finally learned how to group layers. Yes I know these are the basics of Photoshop, but somehow in my usual impatience, I just went ahead and muddled through.  I've also learned that I was underusing the wonderful lassoo tool.  I have such a love/hate relationship with Photoshop. I don't care what anyone says, it is not user friendly at all!  After completing the tutorial I just had to alter it.  I appreciate that this won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I think art is about stretching boundaries which are not always pretty. I cannot abide political correctness or the opression of human beings.  Anyway enough ramblings.  Here's the results of the dark and eerie tutorial.
                                                                                              
  Barbara Walters, of 20/20, did a story on gender roles in Kabul , Afghanistan , several years before the Afghan conflict. She noted that women customarily walked five paces behind their husbands. She recently returned to Kabul and observed that women still walk behind their husbands.  Despite the overthrow of the oppressive Taliban regime, the women now seem to, and are happy to, maintain the old custom. Ms. Walters approached one of the Afghani women and asked, "Why do you now seem happy with an old custom that you once tried so desperately to change?"

The woman looked Ms. Walters straight in the eyes, and without hesitation said, "Land Mines."  
                                                                                                                    

2 comments:

Junibears said...

I too hate all this political correctness Heather. A funny old world we live in.
This is a wonderful piece that really gets you thinking.
Hugs
June xx

Anonymous said...

Oh My!!! You right not all art is pretty...some just need to make a statement. Loud and clear.

Thank you so much for giving this tutorial a try....baby steps when it comes to working in Photoshop.